top of page

Home safety tips


Read and follow these home safety tips

Carbon Monoxide

  • Recognize the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness.

  • Check gas appliances for warning signs that they are not working properly e.g. lazy yellow flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks or stains on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room.

  • Buy an audible carbon monoxide alarm for your home and make sure it is located near to your gas appliances in accordance with the manufacturer’s guidance. Carbon monoxide can leak from appliances and kill.

  • Only use gas appliances for their intended purpose e.g. don’t use your oven to heat the room.

  • Always ensure there is enough ventilation for your gas appliances to allow them to burn correctly and make sure you are not blocking any air vents that provide an air supply to the gas appliance.

Dryer Safety tips

  • Have your dryer installed and serviced by a professional.

  • Do not use the dryer without a lint filter.

  • Make sure you clean the lint filter before or after each load of laundry. Remove lint that has collected around the drum. 


Facts and figures

  • Clothes dryers accounted for 92% of the fires; washing machines 4%, and washer and dryer combinations accounted for 4%.

  • The leading cause of home clothes dryer and washer fires was failure to clean (32%), followed by unclassified mechanical failure or malfunction (22%). Eight percent were caused by some type of electrical failure or malfunction.

  • The risk of fire is roughly equal for gas-fueled clothes dryers and electric-powered clothes dryers.

Smoke Detectors

  • There are a few simple suggestions to follow in order to get the most out of your smoke detectors and increase your safety and security. First smoke detectors should be installed in every bedroom, outside each separate sleeping area and on every level of the home, including the basement. This ensures that no matter where a fire breaks out there is a smoke detector in place that can alert the residents of the home.


                                                         click here

CALL us now  651-283-9153
bottom of page